Cannot Add Web Parts from the Online Web Part Gallery to Your Web Part Page
You may not be able to add Web parts from the online Web Part gallery to a Web Part Page in your Windows SharePoint Services Website. For example, on your Web Part Page, Online Gallery is not listed under Add Web Parts.
This issue may occur if one or both of the following conditions are true:
- Access to the online Web Part gallery is disabled on the virtual server.
- Your server is behind a proxy server or firewall; the proxy server settings are not specified in the Web.config file for the virtual server.
To resolve this issue, enable access to the online Web Part gallery on the virtual server. If your server is behind a proxy server or firewall, you must also edit the Web.config file to include the proxy server settings for the virtual server where you want to enable the online Web Part gallery. In a server farm environment, you must edit the Web.config file for each virtual server in every front-end Web server in the server farm.
Enable Access to the Online Web Part Gallery
To enable access to the online Web Part gallery, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint Central Administration.
- On the Central Administration page, under Virtual Server Configuration, click Configure virtual server settings.
- On the Virtual Server List page, click the name of your virtual server.
- On the Virtual Server Settings page, click Manage security settings for Web Part Pages under Security Settings.
- On the Manage security settings for Web Part Pages page, click Enabled under Online Web Part Gallery.
- Click OK.
Configure the Web.config File
To configure the Web.config file, follow these steps:
- Start a text editor such as Notepad.
- Locate and open the Web.config file for the virtual server where you want to enable access to the online Web Part gallery. The Web.config folder is located in the following folder: Inetpub\Wwwwroot.
- Locate the </system.web> entry near the end of the Web.config file.
- Copy and paste the following lines to the Web.config file, immediately after the </system.web> entry, where <ProxyServer> is the name of your proxy server and <Port> is the port that you are using:
<system.net> <defaultProxy> <proxy proxyaddress="http://<ProxyServer>:<port>" bypassonlocal = "true"/> </defaultProxy> </system.net>
- Save the Web.config file, and then quit the text editor.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 for each virtual server where you want to enable access to the online Web Part gallery.
The online Web Part gallery is an additional set of Web Parts that is available from Microsoft. When you enable access to the online Web Part gallery, users can search, browse, and preview Web Parts and add them to Web Part pages.
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft® Windows SharePoint Services
Microsoft® Knowledge Base Article – 823375
Benefit from our On-Demand Expertise™ through managed Sharepoint hosting solutions.