Email Frequently Asked Questions
- What's the difference between a POP3 account and a forwarding account?
- What's a catch–all email address?
- How can I resolve "Message Cannot be Sent" errors in Outlook?
What's the difference between a POP3 account and a forwarding account?
A POP3 email account receives and stores email on the email server at Fpweb.net. You log into the account directly to retrieve mail.
A forwarding account uses your Fpweb.net domain name (email@example.com), but sends the mail to another email account that you specify. The other account can be anywhere; firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc. The messages are not stored on our server, but rather "forwarded" to the other target email account.
Each Fpweb.net account includes three or more POP3 email addresses and unlimited email forwarding.
What's a catch-all email address?
If you created POP3 email accounts and someone sends you an email addressed to a username that does not exist for your domain name, then you have two options.
- Use the 'catch-all' email feature. This feature will forward every email message that is going to a nonexistent email account to any other email address that you specify. This email feature allows you to not miss any email that comes to your domain name.
- You can do nothing and these emails will be automatically bounced back to the user notifying them that the particular email address is nonexistent.
Why am I getting an error "Message Cannot be Sent" when trying to send an email through Outlook?
If you are receiving a message stating that the recipient was rejected by the server OR a 550 not local host, not a gateway error message, please change a setting in your email client (i.e. Outlook or Eudora) for outgoing mail "Server Requires Authentication." In Outlook, this is accessible:
- From the toolbar: Tools >> Services
- Check your email account. Click "Properties"
- Click on the "Servers" Tab.
- Ensure the box is checked for "My Server Requires Authentication"
- Save your Changes, try again
If you're still having issues sending your email, contact Fpweb.net customer support so we can assist you with setting up Outlook for your hosted Exchange email server.
Experience our speed and expertise through our fully hosted Exchange 2010 services.