15 Updates and Announcements to OneDrive in 2017 that Improve the User Experience
The Microsoft product team has been very invested in OneDrive with significant updates being rolled out monthly. Make sure you’re on the latest. (OneDrive sync client release notes) There are lots of great new features coming to OneDrive.
For recent announcements to OneDrive for business check out this video: OneDrive for Business updates: simplified sharing and files on demand
- New OneDrive Files on Demand feature keeps your files in the cloud, but feels native. Coming this summer in Windows 10 update. https://blogs.office.com/2017/05/11/introducing-onedrive-files-on-demand-and-additional-features-making-it-easier-to-access-and-share-files/
- Intuitive right click Share added to explorer File Explorer on Windows and Finder on the Mac
- Organization based sharing. Share file to everyone in the organization.
- OneDrive now supports syncing SharePoint files and OneDrive for Business shared folders. SeeEnable users to sync SharePoint files with the new OneDrive sync client. Share to anonymous – planned, but no date.
- Ability to launch Flow directly from OneDrive for our First Release customers and coming to all tenants over the next few months. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-Blog/Announcing-Microsoft-Flow-for-OneDrive-For-Business/ba-p/71986
- Per Group Sharing Controls: Let only users in selected security groups share with authenticated external users and using anonymous links https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-Blog/New-feature-Per-Group-Sharing-Controls/ba-p/74780
- Administrators can also control organizations that can be included or excluded. Administrative settings for the new OneDrive sync client (OneDrive.exe)
- No Blocked Characters (now you can sync files with any supported on the desktop &()@#$<>. Use “Easy fix” tool to help in renaming files and folders to prepare or fix the naming of items in a local folder or OneDrive for Business folders. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2933738/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-sharepoint-libraries-to-your-computer-through-onedrive-for-business
- Selective sync of files and folders. Get started with the new OneDrive sync client in Windows
- You can sync up to 20,000 items in a OneDrive for Business library. This includes folders and files. You can sync up to 20,000 items in a OneDrive for Business library. This includes folders and files.
- Large file support up to 15GB for a single file!
- The OneDrive sync client for Windows supports co-authoring and in-app sharing when you use Office 2016 Click 2 Run (version 16.0.6741.2027 or higher). You must also have OneDrive (version 17.3.6386.0412 or higher)
- OneDrive support for Mac OS X has improved with updates to Finder. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-the-xnew-OneDrive-sync-client-on-Mac-OS-X-d11b9f29-00bb-4172-be39-997da46f913f
- OneDrive client supports both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business for mobile
- OneDrive support for files app in iOS 11 https://blogs.office.com/2017/06/05/announcing-onedrive-support-for-the-files-app-in-ios-11/
Need help troubleshooting OneDrive? Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365.
- Reports all files that have sizes exceeding the limit.
- Reports all files that have invalid characters in the names.
- Reports all folders that have invalid characters or strings in the names.
- Reports all paths exceeding the limit and provides a link to this KB article.
The tool is available from http://diagnostics.outlook.com.