Here’s one BIG reason to upgrade to SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online
SharePoint 2007 end of life on October 10, 2017
At end of life, Microsoft no longer provides:
- Security fixes for vulnerabilities that are discovered and that may make the server vulnerable to security breaches
- Technical support for problems that may occur
- Bug fixes for issues that are discovered and that may impact the stability and usability of the server
Your SharePoint Server 2007 farm will still run after October 10, 2017, but you can expect no further updates, patches, or fixes will be shipped for the product including security patches/fixes!
As end of life approaches, Microsoft and its partners more than highly recommend you upgrade the product, or migrate important data.
What about SharePoint 2010? When does that expire? Mainstream support for SharePoint 2010 SP2 ended Oct. 13, 2015. Oct. 13, 2020 will be end of life.
Here’s 11 additional reasons to Upgrade to SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online
- Cloud – new hybrid possibilities with SharePoint 2016 and Office 365
- Higher stability and availability / zero downtime patching
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP) – Scanning of files on prem and Office 365
- Improved external sharing & durable links
- Significant OneDrive improvements on server and client
- Server security – MinRoles
- Sites you follow in one place / Office 365 SharePoint home and improved following
- List scale improvements – removed 5,000 view threshold / auto-indexing list view (overriding 5,000 items threshold) on prem and in Office 365
- Increased file size for uploads up to 2GB on prem / Office 365 – 10 GB
- Self-healing & health analyzer
- Improved Profile service application is being removed / Delve profiles in Office 365
Get SharePoint migration help
Fpweb.net has performed more than 5,000 custom SharePoint migrations. Our SharePoint migration services include the migration tools, strategy, planning to move you to SharePoint 2010, 2013, 2016, or SharePoint Online. Learn more at fpweb.net/sharepoint/migration, fill out this form for pricing, and contact us with any questions.